Here is some helpful information regarding the batteries in your
Plan Wheel scaler:
1. The batteries we ship with the scaler are carbon-zinc and have
about half the life of alkaline cells. They are intended to get you
working right away with your scaler, but when you replace them, buy
regular alkalines and expect them to last longer.
2. Do not use rechargeable batteries with the scaler. Rechargeable
batteries are lower voltage than regular batteries (1.25 volts instead
of 1.5) and the low battery indicator can trigger even when they are
3. If you use the computer model of our scaler, remember that the
scaler will stay on while a computer program is communicating with
the scaler. It will not automatically shut off. When you are done
using your program, you should close the program or unplug the scaler
so it will shut off (after about seven minutes). Note that minimizing
the program will not work.
4. The scaler actually works down to a very low battery voltage,
much lower than the indicator shows. Once the low battery indicator
starts flashing, you should be able to finish your takeoff, but be
sure to replace the batteries as soon as you have a chance.
5. If you don't use your scaler for an extended length of time, be
sure to remove the batteries.
6. When you replace the batteries, replace both batteries at the same
time and observe the proper polarity.